Welcome to Year Six!
As you know, Year Six is the children’s final year before they move on to Secondary school. It is a challenging and very busy year, but will also be an exciting and rewarding one!
Our Year Six Team is made up of Mrs Goodwin and Miss Plant (Monday) and Mrs Meredith (Class teacher : Tues- Friday). Children are also supported by Mrs. Khan and Mrs. Bibi.
All children, regardless of ability, will work with a range of adults throughout the week. They will be supported and challenged daily in exciting activities to ensure they reach their full potential.
Year Six Values:
- We have incredibly high expectations of behaviour, learning and attitude. It is right that we want all our children to feel pride, a sense of achievement and have a determination to do their best.
- We encourage all children to take responsibility for their actions and the decisions they make, in different situations.
- We promote independence because this is a crucial life skill. It is right that children are expected to think and act for themselves and make well informed decisions.
- We support children so that they are not afraid to get things wrong and show openness and honesty when they’re stuck.
- We encourage resilience, reflectiveness, resourcefulness and reciprocity to help them to become well rounded, happy children.
- We believe that if the school, parents and children can work together, we can ensure effective support is provided for each person.
PE kits are needed each Monday and Thursday. Please note that PE kits may also be needed if your child attends after school sports clubs. Children are allowed to bring a roll on deodorant to use after P.E lessons. Personal hygiene is very important in Year Six. The children should be encouraged to shower or have a bath regularly.
Children will receive weekly home-learning. Home learning will be given on Friday to be returned the following Wednesday. This gives plenty of time for all learning challenges to be completed to a high standard.
Reading is an essential skill. The more children read, the more effective they will be as a reader, and the better chance they have being successful in the future.
We encourage our children to read at home each day. Books are available from school for your child to take home. Please check that your child is reading regularly. They will be given activities to complete in a reading journal.
Bags: Children are expected to bring their reading books, home-learning and P.E kits to school in a bag when they are needed. In Year Six children are allowed to use any school bag of their choice, rather than a book bag. This is preparing them for Secondary school.
Children in Year Six get the opportunity to take part in a two day residential trip to Robinwood (Todmorden) during the Spring Term. This is an amazing opportunity to complete a wide range of both indoor and outdoor activities, including: climbing, caving, canoeing etc.
We encourage all children to take part , even though we appreciate this may be the first time some children may have stayed away from home. We do however ask parents to allow their child to take part as this is often a life changing experience that develops so many life-long skills.
Relevant information is provided to parents / carers closer to the time and we invite parents to watch videos and and attend a question and answer session.
Thankyou for taking the time to read this information. Please understand that the adults in Year Six are always happy to meet with you to discuss your child. We look forward to a happy and successful year.