The planning structure for our Key Stage 1 is organised into five blocks. The structure is the same for each year group. A block is designed to cover the equivalent of 6 weeks or 9 weeks of teaching, but this period of time is flexible depending on the needs of the children in each class. Each block incorporates objectives from the national framework for maths. These blocks are:
- Block A: Counting, partitioning and calculating
- Block B: Securing number facts, understanding shape
- Block C: Handling data and measures
- Block D: Calculating, measuring and understanding shape
- Block E: Securing number facts, relationships and calculating
In Key Stage 2 our planning is based on the same structures as Key Stage 1, with coordinated medium term plans across Key Stage 2. However the children are grouped into ability sets across the Key Stage with five teachers teaching, the four classes in our Key Stage 2 during a discrete maths session.
At Horton Mill Primary School there is an emphasis on providing opportunities for mathematics to be used and applied in cross curricular ways, both as a vehicle to develop communication skills but also as a skill to be applied across the curriculum.